Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Oh hey, April.

I know- the same ole song and dance.  "We've been so busy and I haven't blogged!"  But REALLY, between work projects, end of school year events, spring travels, and another house project (more of that to come below), it's been a little insane over at Casa de Jordan.

So, where did I leave off last?  Oh.  Easter.  On April 1.  Today is May 1.  Carry on, carry on.

April has been filled with spring sports for the kiddos.  Palmer is playing baseball and their team usually gets shut out by the opposing team.  Buuutttt, the kids have a lot of fun and the dads try every week to improve everyone's baseball skills.

Palmer was the catcher a few weeks ago and was so giddy about the outfit.
In Palmer's spare time, he likes to beat his parents in chess.

Grace was recruited by a friend to play soccer and I would say Grace's interest in the game is no more than ho-hum.  Grace loves dance and if I had been more strategic, I probably should've added gymnastics to her calendar before soccer.  But, it's a short season and Grace gets out on the field for a little bit of time.  Then, she's over it and says she would prefer to be a cheerleader.
 
 Don't mind us over here on the sideline...
Uncle Luke and Aunt Holly stopped by to watch a game while in town.  They probably could've found a better way to spend an hour, but the gesture was nice.  Too bad Grace mostly wanted to play on the sidelines with Charlie...
Speaking of sports, I was playing a lot of tennis with my team until I sprained both my foot and my ankle in a tennis match. I had to walk off the court and forfeit that match and have been down a month.  Super frustrating.  I didn't get to finish out the spring season and am just today easing back in.
We've snuck in some weekend travel over the last month.

Rick and I did a little staycation in Fort Worth while Samantha watched the kids.  We explored some fun new restaurants, stayed in a bed and breakfast, and visited the amazing Modern Museum of Art in Fort Worth.
Another weekend, Rick and I went down to the hill country to celebrate a beautiful and very special wedding.  My friend Sara Beer lost her husband several years ago in an accident and has found a man with whom she will spend the next phase of her life.
We got a little hiking in over at Jacob's well, posed with bluebonnets, and clebrated my birthday with friends....
One last quick trip: Rick got me tickets to Hamilton in Houston for my birthday.  The original plan was for Rick and I to go together, but we eventually decided that my dear friend Adrienne would be a better date since share a love for musicals and she lives in Houston.  The show was incredible and the soundtrack has been on repeat for nearly a week now.  
Back in Dallas, Palmer got a haircut.  Oops.  I left the stylist on her own and came back to quite the chop job.  Palmer adores his short hair, but not to worry- those summer curls will be back as soon as they can grow. (By the way, see the typewriter in the photo below? Palmer asked if it was an "old-fashioned computer." haha)
 

Most of our April has been monopolized by a new project.

Rick's family has had a home at Cedar Creek Lake since the 70s.  Rick's grandmother Grace has been living on her own at the lake for the last decade.  A few months ago, the decision was made to move Rick's 92-year-old grandmother to assisted living.  The home has seen better days and needs quite a bit of love to get it back up and running, so Rick and I have taken on the task of bringing it back to life.  We have good memories of spending time there when we first started dating and Rick has childhood memories from the home.  We hope to give it a quick face-lift and then spend time over the years pouring more care into the property

Over the last month, we've emptied out the home (most of the contents hadn't been touched in decades) and we are now painting the interior and exterior, replacing the flooring, sinks, faucets, counter tops, lighting, fans, etc.  We've gone back and forth between Cedar Creek and Dallas (an hour's drive each way) a ton over the last few weeks, but we should be able to sleep there in a few weeks.

Before pictures:
(Heaven forbid I just sit with my feet up now that our own home project is over.  You people know I love a good project and this one is so special to Rick's family.)
More to come.  Because it's now MAY.

-Bethany 

No comments:

Post a Comment