Thursday, September 5, 2013

Summer Bucket List

For the summer, I transformed the upstairs chalkboard into a Summer Bucket List.

How did we do?
I would say, we did pretty well.  And special thanks to my budding resident artist for the "art" below the list.

One of my favorite list items was a visit to the Culinary Institute of America's (CIA) new Southwest campus in San Antonio.
I read a great book years ago called The Making of a Chef, where the culinary education of budding chefs was documented at the CIA in New York.  When the school opened its Texas campus, I knew a visit was necessary.

Unfortunately, the culinary school was closed for the summer so the student-run restaurant and tours weren't available.  But, we did get to visit the little cafe with pastries that were almost too beautiful to eat.  Almost.

This is my second-cousin Hailey, who will always be known as my little flower girl.  My own child may not look like me, but people always say that Hailey and I favor each other.  Ironically, Hailey's mom is blonde and blue-eyed.  ha!

I definitely want to plan a trip during the school year to get a complete tour of the inner-workings of America's future and brightest chefs (I know, I'm a nerd).

-Bethany



No comments:

Post a Comment