Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Lorax

I took Palmer to the movies over the summer and we saw The Lorax.  For those of you that haven't seen the movie, it's a pretty cute movie with a good message: don't cut the trees down or the keeper of the forest, the Lorax, will be sad/angry.

Well, this message has stuck with Palmer for weeks now.  I can tell The Lorax is on his mind often because he regularly tells me, "we don't cut trees down or the Lorax will be sad."

But, Palmer doesn't always want to do the right thing and just as often, I find him doing this:
That's right.  He's trying to cut the tree down.

This poor tree has a lot of bark damage at the moment:
Rick and I will ask him what he's doing and he'll proudly exclaim, "I cut the tree down!" So, the other day Rick told Palmer the Lorax was in the kitchen, needed to talk to Palmer, and wasn't happy.  Palmer was so scared as he peered around the kitchen corner to confess to his actions.  ha!

And earlier this week, I previewed the new Children's Garden at the Arboretum (which is fab, btw!).  In an attempt to lure Palmer to the next stop on the garden tour, I told him, "Let's go see where the Lorax lives (aka the tree house)"

I thought Palmer would be thrilled to see the Lorax's home, but instead I've never seen Palmer more concerned as when he went up to the tree house.  (Let's remember, this is not a timid child.)

Poor Jordan had to hold both Palmer and William's hands as they cautiously entered the tree.
See, Palmer.  Having an inner conscience can be hard.

-Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment