Friday, May 6, 2011

Six Weeks Old

Palmer is six weeks old today and continues to grow and develop all the time.
 He is more alert and recently took notice of the mobile in his crib.  (Note: This mobile was Rick's when he was a little child.  I'm thrilled that the music box still works after all of these years.)
I can now sit in my bumbo seat (with a little help).
  If I don't have assistance, this happens.  :)
 I still like to look in the mirror a lot.
 And while I am busy with the mirror, Boston plays right by my side.  He can't wait for me to be bigger and chase him around.
 My mommy helped me with my first art project: hand prints and foot prints.  Thanks, Aunt Kelly O for the fun project.
The foot prints were a success.  The hand print (I'm not gonna sugar coat it) was mediocre.  Have YOU ever tried to get a baby's hands unclasped from a fist in order to make a print?  Good luck with that.  I'll stick to feet, thank you.


In other domestic news, I am back to cooking.  We've been beyond grateful to all of our friends and family that brought meals over the last 6 weeks.  We have literally been eating everyone's kind gestures the entire time.  And now the meals are slowing down thru the front door and I am learning how to balance taking care of Mr. Palmer and fiddling around in the kitchen again.  I love cooking, so it makes me feel somewhat normal to pick it up after the sabbatical.

WHAT'S FOR DINNER:
Adrienne's adapted BAREFOOT CONTESSA FRENCH ONION SOUP:
(We had a ton of onions in the organic produce co-op bin, so what better way to use them than in this delicious soup.)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/french-onion-soup-recipe/index.html
Adaptations: Instead of sauteing the onions as directed, use the oven to caramelize the onions.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Toss the onions with 1/8 pound butter, 1/4 cup canola oil and 1 tablespoon salt.  Stir the onions every 15 minutes for about 2 to 3 hours until the onions are caramel in color and sweet in taste.  Don't rush this process.  It's worth it.  Then, follow the directions from the deglazing with the alcohol on...

-Bethany

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Saw your blog. I am a mom of 6 who just happens to do baby hand/footprints. I have a Prints by Mail kit that is foolproof. No mess, soft, non-toxic molding material that never dries so you can keep re-doing the hand/foot mold until you like it. Then bake it and send it back to me. I then sculpt 3D molds of your baby's hand/foot and I can make any number of things with just one mold-ornaments, plaques, windchimes, stepping stones, frames, ect..My blog is http://www.handprintlady.blobspot.com to see lots of pictures, and my "mail order" site is http://www.handprintlady.etsy.com/shop and I have a dot com at http://www.handprintlady.com
    I just thought you might be interested since I saw your hand/footprint frames you did.

    ReplyDelete